Saturday, March 20, 2010

What is wool roving? Kitten Mittens and mothers

I must borrow a phrase from my friend at PotsandPins -
I only know what I know -
This is what I know (so far) about the
Corriedale wool roving (sliver) that Lavender Rabbit carries: here and here

This wool felts (shrinks) when wet felted and needle felts beautifully.
It comes from Corriedale sheep.
The sheep are sheered.
The wool is washed and dried.
I don't know when in the process the wool is dyed.
At some point the wool is combed (carded).
The hand combs look like dog brushes.
A drumcarder is a machine that cards the wool faster.
The green roving(sliver) in the picture is dyed and carded
into a long "bat" or "batting"
(I think that's the correct term):
Not all wool "felts".
In my limited felting experience, I have successfully felted with
Corriedale
Merino
Camel down
Alpaca
Llama
They have all needle felted just fine with definite differences in the finished product.
Some wool felts easier than others.
Some wool compacts tight faster than others.
Some wool won't felt!
Knitters and crochet-ers like superwashed wool for projects because it won't shrink (felt).
That's it!
That's what I know - so far.
Now, check out these Kitten Mittens they were needlefelted using Corriedale wool
Chocolate
Lime
candy
cherub

Together the mittens weigh .3 or 3 tenths of an ounce or 9 grams of wool roving.
They fit a 21" doll.
Soulsister made an adult size pair for Art-girl.
yummy- soft - chocolate kitties to wear on her hands to
keep her fingers warm and soft when the cold wind blows.
Ahhh...mothers.
Always, thinking of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment