Monday, April 26, 2010

Earth Day Surprise!

Now, I admit...
I don't do everything I ought to do everyday of the year to help keep 
Good ol' Mother Earth green and healthy...
We have made some choices that make sense for us...
My spousal-unit and I share a car.
We plan our trips so we aren't driving willy-nilly using fuel.
We use washable cloth where we can instead of always grabbing a paper-towel.
We recycle.
I love thrift stores and re-purposing.
We have a lovely worm bin.
We garden and use the grass clippings to make composted mulch...
Doing what we can and adding to the list.
On Earth Day...
I was merrily planting little veggie plants that had been started indoors...
(yes, those are egg shells in a used egg carton)
and thinking about other healthy things we could be doing for
Momma E...
When my spousal-unit remarked about a lovely plant growing
in a newly cleaned-up section of our yard...
"Look at this! It's a trillium, isn't it?"
Well, I'll be darned - it is!
I thought he'd planted it as a surprise, 
cause I've been wanting trillium but didn't want to dig up the plants 
I find on nature walks.
Nope! He wouldn't take credit...
It was an Earth Day Surprise from good ol' Mother E.
Oh, Happy Day!
It's like getting a sticker or stamp on our good choices calendar...
I made a wet felted trillium in honor of the new plant.
It's a bit "cheesy".
I'm going to have to practice this technique until I master it.
What does your Mother E. look like?
 "You can see it from here" a quilt designed and made by beach Glass designs
is a good indicator of our local Mother E influence.
Mountains, blue sky, trees in abundance...
Look at all the blocks in this beauty, 
Maple leaf, snails trail, Hole in the barn door, flying geese, bears paw,
fish ladder, pigeons in the coop, log cabin,
Toad in a puddle, pinwheels, and delectable mountains as the border...
Wowza!
Now, I'll bet you're thinking this is a really hard quilt...
Nope!
It's so simple it can be worked as a sampler.
Alter the barn to suit a building in your life or history, 
change the colors to your local "Mother E" colors.
You can even replace a block or two with something local and appropriate.
Maybe you'll use this quilt as inspiration for your next masterpiece.
Oh, Happy Earth Day!
Every Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment