Friday, July 9, 2010

Going home...


Home is where my momma lives.

It wasn't really my home
I slept there but never really
lived there...

home is where my momma lives.
On the prairie
where Momma grew up
on land Grandpa bought in 1928
 
Momma lives
in a red brick house
with windows on all sides
 when the curtains are open
you can see straight through
the wind blows
and it's hot in the summer
 and really cold in the winter...
there are always interesting critters
and
bugs
Skunks,
racoons, 
possums,
armadillo,
scorpions,
spiders and tarantulas
snakes and lizards 
and turtles
blue jays and cardinals 
mocking birds
donkeys in the field next door
where the hollyhocks
reach for the sky...
 
Neighbors who knew me before I was born
 
neighbors I know only through my momma's stories
 
neighbors who mow her prairie grass
and bring her mail
and lunch and dinner
 
and clean her house
 and take her to the store
or to town
just for the neighborly friendliness of
time together.

Yep! I'm going there -
Home.
Where my momma lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment